Monday, January 21, 2008

Prayer for Wyatt

UPDATE: Thank you for all of your prayers. We are still waiting to have a thorough discussion with Wyatt's pediatrician regarding the results of his MRI. I have read the report but want to make sure I understand it before I comment. Hopefully, she will call me on Monday.


Wyatt will have to be put under general anesthesia tomorrow for a MRI study of his brain. Some of you may remember that he had a brain MRI when he was in the NICU to see if his pituitary gland was normal. At the time, he was having severe hypoglycemia, and they were trying to rule out a tumor. Fortunately, his pituitary gland was fine, but they noticed he had some white matter loss and delayed myelination. Without going into an incredible amount of detail on the subject, this could potentially lead to developmental delays, neurodevelopmental impairment, attention capacity, and school performance problems. Can you tell I've read one too many studies? Todd and I had all but decided not to pursue this follow-up MRI because no matter the outcome, it will not change one thing. Wyatt is our child, and we love him completely. We will work to provide the best environment for him to flourish in, but we cannot change his brain.

The reason we are pursuing this now is because we are trying to get individual health insurance. Todd and I are both self-employed, and, unfortunately, we do not have access to group health insurance. Wyatt is currently covered under COBRA from my previous employer. As I'm sure you know, it is quite expensive, and we are searching for a better alternative. Insurance has, of course, denied him due to his prior MRI results. So, here we are, having an MRI tomorrow that I'm not sure I even want to know the results.

What I keep reminding myself is that God has had His hand on this child since the day he was conceived. From very early in my pregnancy, the odds were stacked against him. So far, he's done nothing but excel beyond statistical expectations. Results from an MRI will not define him.

Samuel means "given to God," and that is what I will continue to do, give him up to the Lord.

10 comments:

katie said...

oh. i will pray for sweet wyatt... and pray for coverage for him!
thanks for these honest thoughts...

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for Wyatt and for y'all! It's especially hard to be there while they put your child under, but he will be fine. (Anna Miles had to be put under when she was about 8 months for eye surgery). Wyatt is a little fighter and I'm confident the results will be positive!!!
Love,
Marianna Taylor

ivegot5 said...

Randi and Todd I'm praying! And I'm here to talk to if you need me.

Laura

TMB said...

just checking in. but i pray all went well today and will continue to pray as you await results!

Anonymous said...

Just checking the blog tonight and I see you've already been through this experience today. I hope you are both holding up well. We will keep you in our prayers.
Margaret & Scott

Lori said...

You all have my prayers! He has overcome sooo many obstacles and exceeded expectations set forth so I know that he will amaze us all with his strength and determination.

No matter what... you have two AMAZING angels that God gifted and created.

MamaBear said...

"given to God" Thanks for the reminder as I have a Samuel too.

My thoughts and prayers continue for your precious family.

Jennifer said...

Not sure how I am managing to just get to this post, but your attitude is right. God is Sovereign. Look at what that sweet boy has already overcome! He's clearly building an amazing testimony in Wyatt's life! (and yours)

Jen said...

Praying for little Wyatt and his mommy and daddy.

Matt and Amy Snow said...

Praying for all 4 of y'all as you sift through results. Your determination, love, faith, and ability to take the next right steps continue to be a testimony to His greatness. And you are SO right---he continues to amaze all of us. From conception to where he is now----totally amazing!
Blessings!