Friday, March 23, 2007

26 Week Update

We returned to the perinatalogit today for our 26 week checkup. We've become so well versed in the ultrasound procedure that it was hard watching because we now know when we see something that doesn't look good. I guess ignorance really is bliss! Pooh, is in full absent end diastolic flow with his umbilical artery and it is starting to show signs of affecting other blood flow areas. He is still our smallest having only gained two ounces in the last two weeks and weighing in at 1 pound, 3 ounces to date. This was probably the most disturbing thing we heard at today's appointment. We desperately need for him to gain weight. On the positive side, he is still growing (albeit minimally) and he is behaving like a 26 weeker. Tigger is actually still showing mild signs of a compromised umbilical artery, but so far it does not seem to have affected his growth or development. He is our whopper, gaining 10 ounces in two weeks weighing in at 2 pounds, 2 ounces overall.

I (Randi) am officially off work from here on out and on modified bed rest. The doctor's instructions were to rest, drink tons of water and several Ensure/Boost drinks per day. This will allow all of my energy and bloodflow to go straight to the babies. This is our last attempt at putting weight on the babies. From here on out, we will be returning to the perinataolgist weekly and possibly twice weekly. We will not have weekly growth scans; however, we will take a look at the umbilical artery to check blood flow and also make sure that Pooh is behaving the way he should be. We have made a decision, with the perinatologist, that we do not want to deliver prior to 28 weeks. This will allow both babies to gain additional weight, namely Tigger, who hopefully by then will be a solid 3 pounder. It is not until then that we could feel good about his odds of survival without permanent injury. We do not want to compromise his health because he appears to be a healthy, thriving baby boy. We are praying Pooh holds on for his sake and his brother's sake. As long as Pooh is still growing, active, and does not slip into a reverse end disastolic flow, I will remain pregnant. When I do deliver, the doctor has assured me there is no option other than a C-section.

We wanted to give everyone an update on our progress. We know there are a lot of people out there that we will possibly never meet that are vigilant in their prayer and thoughts. For that, we are so very grateful. Several of these people have asked how they can pray specifically. In the next day or so, I will post some specific requests for prayer that are the most pressing. We also have a whole new bunch of ultrasound pictures to post. We return to the OB on Tuesday, have the 4D ultrasound on Wednesday and return to the perinatalogist on Friday. As Todd told me today, it appears the waiting and doing nothing is over. We have entered into game time mode. That alone has relieved some of our anxieties.

12 comments:

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

I will be praying for your family daily. It's such a hard thing to go through, and I feel for you. Children are such a blessing, and I pray your blessings will continue to grow and thrive!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Sounds like a good plan. Grow babies grow!! I will be praying specifically for their lungs to mature, their hearts to be strong, and their brains to be protected.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea." Psalm 46:1-2

Anonymous said...

Love you and praying for you all,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

The waiting and not knowing part is the most difficult (at least it was for me). When I was pregnant with my twins, those visits to the perinatologist could not come soon enough. Just knowing exactly how Pooh and Tigger are doing at least three times a week until they are delivered will help ease your mind (hopefully!).

I am praying constantly for y'all. And I can't wait to get your specific prayer requests.

Other than pray, pray, pray, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for y'all!
...Marianna

Perri said...

I am one you will never meet - but who prays for you daily.

Praying for the health of both babies and peace for you.

Dennis, Rose and our Clan said...

I too am one you will not meet but I think of you and yours each day and pray for their saftey! I will continue.

Connie Barris said...

You will probably never meet me this side of Heaven but we can be bound by prayer...
I will be praying for peace during this time...
And of course for the safe delivery of Pooh and Tigger..
Blessings,
Connie

Aunt Boo said...

Thank you for updatng us. I am here if needed and I am praying like crazy for you, Todd and the boys. Try to continue to think positively, that helps too.

Anonymous said...

We too will probably never meet... but I am praying for you and your family. As hard as waiting is... God is in control and he will watch over them. Wishing you strength and praying for both little ones...
Amy

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. TOMMY AND I ARE PRAYING FOR YOU, TIGGER AND POOH!! UNCLE TOMMY AND AUNT JOY

Jennifer said...

Praying here, too. Think they are any more powerful while we are in the same state? cannot wait to see you Thursday and rub your tummy!!!

Alison said...

And yet another you will never meet but rest assured you are in our prayers!!!