Friday, March 9, 2007

Untitled

I wanted to post tonight quickly about our week 24 appointment with the perinatalogist today. No funny pictures; no ultrasounds. The situation for baby A, Pooh, is trending further downhill. Thankfully, he is continuing to grow; however, he is a more that a week behind in gestational age and is weighing 1 pound, 1 ounce, while baby B, Tigger, is actually half a week ahead of his gestational age and weighing 1 pound, 8 ounces. Although this may not sound like much of a discrepancy, it is considerable. The main problem lies in the amount of blood flow reaching Pooh on every heartbeat. He is now in absent-end diastolic flow, where no blood is flowing into the placenta, and baby, while the heart is at rest. This is causing his heart to work extra hard for the blood that he actually receives. We are praying that this condition will improve over the next three weeks or that the little guy can hold on. Unfortunately, at this point, there is little we can do medically.

The scenarios that we are foreseeing appear bleak. It has been hard on us today coming to grips with this realization. We can only wait until our next appointment with the perinatalogist. At that point, we will have to start making decisions about which course to traverse. From then on, we will probably be seeing the doctor weekly for more frequent updates on their well-being. It will be extremely risky for both babies to come this early. We hope and pray that we have two fighters. I personally feel this is harder to struggle through with them in the womb than if they were already here. At least then, we could try to comfort them. Right now they are still perfect and unblemished.

On the positive side, Randi is doing very well, except for some swelling and carpal tunnel coming on. She has gained precisely 24 pounds in 24 weeks; our goal. She does not appear to be having increased contractions or showing signs of a shortening cervix. Also, Tigger, is progressing along extremely well. The blood flow problems do not appear to be affecting him at all. We will post more ultrasounds early next week and we will be having a 3D/4D ultrasound in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, we will get some eye-opening views of the two boys. In the meantime, please keep Pooh in your prayers.

POST SCRIPT:
Although we have heard much doom and gloom recently, we give thanks to people like the Bolline family for their inspiring story.
www.thebollines.blogspot.com

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randi and Todd,
Faith and prayer. We love you and are praying for you all.
Much love,
Betsy and Joe

Dennis, Rose and our Clan said...

you do not know me I was reading another blog when they sent us here to pray weeks ago. Know that we will continue to pray for your family as you wait.

Your boys and your family wil remain in our prayers and thoughts until there is more news.

Anonymous said...

I think about y'all and pray for y'all daily (actually more like hourly!). Please know that you are in my continued thoughts and prayers. Our entire family is praying...I told Anna Miles and Davis to pray for Randi's boys (they are 2 and 1/2 now...but they are able to pray too!).
Much love,
Marianna

Jennifer said...

I broke my blogging fast to come and leave you a note to remind you what you know: I love ya'll and, like Marianna, am praying constantly.

Aunt Boo said...

Randi and Todd,

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Pooh and Tigger are in great hands.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Love you,
Amanda and Sydney

Matt and Amy Snow said...

Please know I continue to pray for each of you as you are going through this. Thanks for the update.
Lots of love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Randi and Todd,
Jennifer has been keeping me updated on your progress. Please know that you all have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

Blessings-
Suzanne

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Hang in there Pooh and Tigger, you can do it!! Love, Andrew & Adam

Randi & Todd, We are praying!
~Lindsey~

Alison said...

Praying so very hard, tears streaming, knowing we serve a God who can heal, restore, and strengthen

Perri said...

I have just spent months praying many times a day for the Bollines. As I continue to pray for them, I will add your precious twins to my prayers.

I also pray for peace and guidance from God for the decisions you must make.

Blair's Mom & Dad said...

i am here through my friend jenmom. i just wanted y'all to know that y'all are in my prayers. i will keep posted and continue to pray for all 4 of you daily.

Anonymous said...

Randi and Todd,
Know that we are praying for all 4 of you. Thanks for the update.

Love,
Robert and Katie

Andi said...

Jen said to pray hard, and I agree! I'll be adding Pooh and Tigger to my list!