Monday, August 20, 2007

On My Own

Today marked the first full day that I had both boys all by myself. We have been blessed to have had help since Wyatt came home from the hospital. I had my mother in law here for over a week, my mom here for a week, two of my best friends came for a few days at a time, my grandmother was here for three weeks and my aunt rounded up some of her wonderful friends to fill in the gaps. What a wonderful time I have had catching up with old friends, spending time with family and getting to know new friends. Thanks everyone!!

I most especially enjoyed my time with my grandmother. I am the oldest grandchild and my younger cousins began having children over 12 years ago. She has joked over the years that she hoped I had children before she died. I am so glad she's here to witness it and thankful for the time we had together. She fell in love with both boys, most especially Wyatt. That was largely due to the fact that she's 82 and it's a lot easier for her to handle an 8 pound baby than a 12 pound baby. Four pounds may not sound like much, but it makes a huge difference. So, Wyatt was largely her responsibility. While I missed out on some one-on-one time with Wyatt, I am so thankful she was able to be a part of this special time.

As for today, it actually wasn't that bad. I kind of enjoyed it. Just me and the boys. Me learning how to juggle two babies that needed changing, feeding and burping all at the same time and them learning that life with one mommy and two babies involves sitting in bouncy seats rather than being held. There was plenty of crying, but all in all I think we did pretty well. We'll see how tomorrow goes...

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

GREAT NEWS! I knew you could do it.
I am suffering from a dead cell phone again. Charging tonight, so I'll catch you tomorrow!

katie said...

you should be proud! you made it!!
one day at a time, right?

The Hiatt Family said...

It was so great to see y'all on Saturday night. Thanks for your graciousness as I popped in completely unannounced. I loved meeting the boys (and Todd, too, of course!). My heart rejoiced as I left y'all and remembered all the prayers prayed for their safe arrival. They are beautiful-what reminders of God's love for each of us. I promise to call before dropping in next time!

Anonymous said...

Good for you randi! i'm sure you did enjoy it and it will get easier with each day that they get older! :) as much as i love company, i love having my house back too! :) you will be surprised how good you become at caring for the two of them by yourself when you are the only one there! talk to you soon! love, kimberly p.s. i always think of you when they talk about hurricane dean! :)

Anonymous said...

You have done such a great job. Cherish every minute. I remember when my Granny came to see the twins. I am so glad that she really got to know them and be a special part of their lives. They were almost 3 when she passed. The time with the boys and your grandmother is a time you will never forget. By the way, I forgot to mention earlier...Laley and Brady have T-shirts that say, "Thing One" and "Thing Two".