Friday, February 16, 2007

Crossroads

After our four hour visit to the perinatalogist today, Randi and I believe that we are at a crossroads with the pregnancy, and our hands appear to be tied. Our cause for concern is beginning to be realized. There is a restriction of the diastolic flow of blood, the period of time when the heart is resting between beats, in Baby A's (Pooh's) heart. This is causing less nutrients to reach the baby and placenta, which is resulting in decreased growth. Baby B, or Tigger's diastolic blood flow has improved and he appears to be minimally affected by the condition, and is continuing to grow on a normal growth curve. However, Pooh is starting to show signs of growth restriction. His head and heart are looking great, but this is because the body diverts blood to these more needed areas first. The organ in his abdomen and extremities are having to fight harder than they need to for nutrientsm therefore resulting in him having a small belly. Tigger is measuring on target at 20 weeks, 5 days, when Pooh is measuring at 20 weeks, 1 day; with his head-to-belly ratio measuring a week behind. Pooh is weighing in at 11 ounces and Tigger at 14 ounces.

Like I said there appears to be little we can do. Randi has increased her folic acid and baby aspirin intake to keep the blood from becoming sluggish, and she is increasing her overall caloric intake to make sure that the blood that reaches the babies is of the highest nutritional potency it can be. We will revisit the perinatalogist in three weeks to closely monitor the situation, with an appointment with the OB squeezed in between those visits.

The prognosis is wide open. BEST CASE: The situation resolves itself. Both babies make it to 34-36 weeks or a due date of June 15Th. GOOD CASE: The situation holds and Pooh is slightly to moderately smaller than Tigger at birth at anywhere between 30-34 weeks, with time in the NICU. BAD CASE: The situation worsens with even less blood reaching Pooh and both babies being delivered between 26-29 weeks with extensive time in the NICU under close watch. WORST CASE: unthinkable.

So, with out hands bound we will take them, clasp them together, and lift them high towards heaven in prayer. We ask that you will do the same.

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

You know I am praying for you guys. I also linked from my blog to motivate some others to pray.

Anonymous said...

Linked your blog through Jen's.

I will be praying for your family. I know it's stressful right now.

Lane ~ Another twin mommy

Tara said...

Came here through Jen. I have identical twin boys who are three years old now. When I was pregnant, we dealt with a very different but still scary diagnosis (involving the formation and growth of one twin's heart). We were given so many different scenarios just like you...best, good, bad, worst. Then all we could do was wait and pray for the next three months. To make a long and awesome story short, our boys are beautiful and healthy and playing basketball in our kitchen together right now. I will pray for both of your little ones and check back for updates.

Anonymous said...

I have been keeping tabs on you through Jennifer, but I am so glad to know that I can get updates now through this blog. You are going to be an amazing mom to those twin boys. And I have to tell you that your bond with the boys will be so special (speaking from experience...My son and I have a special one...Daughter too, but it is definitely different with a mom and her son(s)).

I'm praying for BEST case scenario!

If there is anything I can do for y'all, please let me know.
Love,
Marianna Taylor

Sarah said...

I'm here from Jennifer's--I'm praying for your best case scenario, and for your own peace as you wait between visits. :)

Paulette said...

Hello family,
I am here from sweet Jenmoms to let you know I will be lifting your family to the Lord.I had a premie at 26 weeks gestation. Dealing with all we did, she is a beautiful 21 year old today. We however want them to stay in the womb as long as possible and thats what I am praying for! Ill be praying.

Matt and Amy Snow said...

Absolutely in my prayers! Love to Pooh and Tigger!

Liza on Maui said...

I am praying for you and will pass this request around. Our church has a group of prayer warriors, I'll send this one to them too.

Here from Lots of Scotts

HUGS to you....

katie said...

randi, it has been quite a while since i've seen you... but here you are! congrats on your life and pregnancy and i will definitely pray for you and todd and the two to come!
katie (sack) prentiss

Anonymous said...

I'm here from Jenmom.

I have identical twin boys who are a year old. My heart goes out to you both!

Yes, I will certainly pray to our Faithful Lord and will keep checking in for updates.

Chris from Canada

Eagles Wings said...

Hi, I am also here through Jenmom's blog!
I am praying for you and your family!!
I also have identical twin boys who turn 2 next month!!!
You will be in my prayers!!!

Perri said...

With God all things are possible. Praying for God's mighty hand to touch the babies and fix this situation.

I'm a friend of Jen's and will be praying for you daily.

Chad said...

Looks like you guys have a lot of prayer support. We will definitely be keeping the boys and Randi in our prayers.

Alison said...

Here via Jen Mom. You can count on prayers form Nova Scotia!

Kim said...

I will be praying for you all,too! I know it is easy to let your mind wander and be fearful,but try to just focus on what is true for now. God will get you through each day! How blessed you are to be having twins!!!
I will be praying for both babies and for you all...I will be back to check on you. Please let us know how we can specifically pray for you.

In Christ's love,

Kim

Stacey said...

I will be praying for you and your sweet twins growing inside. It's amazing what God can do to take care of the situation before we even know it!

phillips phamily said...

Finally got here! I love all the pictures and the updates. Chad and I certainly have you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you guys

Connie Barris said...

Here from Jenmom....

I am praying....

Connie