Saturday, April 26, 2008

Why We Blog

Recently, I have had my reservations about continuing this blog and moving on with something else. In the beginning, we set it up as a way for family and friends look in on Randi's pregnancy from several states away, since they could not be there for the day-to-day. As problems progressed in the pregnancy, and we began to doubt the sustainability of Wyatt, the blog took on a life of its own. We were so encouraged and touched by others' stories and how the blog reciprocated those feelings back to them. The boys are now approaching their one year birthday in less than 20 days, and we have had some medical bumps in the road beyond the daily stresses associated with having multiples. At times, we have been complacent and stepped away, for weeks at a time, from our blog.

As I started looking back through all those old pictures from the NICU at how far the boys have come; the images still etched so solidly on our memories. Sometimes we can hardly recognize that these are the same two little boys who live with us now. We can only express a snippet of the unabashed joy that comes to us as parents at the quirkiness of our children as children. Although I could post several times a day, I would never capture the chuckle of a Buddha I get as I watch them collapse into sleep during their mid-day nap after struggling so hard to stay wake to play a few more minutes. Those moments are lost to our fleeting memories.

Some have said that blogging is merely egotistical self-massaging...well I guess it depends on your intentions. I see it as the new historical record. No longer do the victor go the spoils. Each is able to leave their own imprint. We are telling the story of our family as no one else can. One of the most rewarding times over the last couple years has been the culmination of this blog into a printed, published book through the help of Blurb.com. For Christmas, we gave copies of a modest 7X7 book to our parents and grandparents of our children's struggle to be born and mature. And even more rewarding, was secretly creating and giving Randi a copy of the entire blog from the last year. We hope to continue this through year two and three, and so on, of this blog.

I am a private person, guarded and reserved in my emotions. I am far too analytical and facts-based. There is a quote that is very near and dear to my heart by Leo Tolstoy in Family Happiness. Through the years I have found no text in literature of equal measure.

"He was right in saying that the only certain happiness in life is to live for others . . . I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor --such is my idea of happiness. And then on top of all that, you (look) for a mate, and children perhaps -- what more can the heart of a man desire?"

2 comments:

keri said...

first, i am liking the new look! second, i am so glad you have continued to blog...not only are you recording the day to day for your own sake, but it lets us take a peek into your world and watch your boys grow up! who needs baby books when we can have blogs!? :)

Lori said...

I feel blessed that you blog and let us see the wonderful growth of your family. I find it amazing how much they have grown since they were born and when I first met them. No matter how awful my day has been it is always brighter when I see that you posted a new blog. It always brings a smile to my face and warms my heart to see those two and hear of their antics.