Monday, May 28, 2007

And In This Corner...

Weighing in at 2 pounds 14 ounces is Samuel Wyatt who has already gone below and rose back up almost 9 ounces over his birth weight of 2 pounds 5 ounces. He is still on 24 hour continuous feeds with steady increases of 1/2 mL every 12 hours. He is starting to look a lot bigger. We are hoping once he reaches 3 pounds, they may take him out of the isolette to try and let him regulate his own body temperature. This will make it a whole lot easier to hold him and interact with him. He is doing very well overall and is starting to have regular bowel movements. I got to "kangaroo care" Wyatt this evening and was hoping that he wouldn't choke on any chest hairs. Fortunately, a catastrophe was averted.

Emerson Parks is now at 5 pounds 6 ounces, 4 ounces over his birth weight. He is practicing nursing a couple of times a day. He keeps adding weight each day, which is a big step towards us taking him home. At two weeks old, he has already learned how to self-soothe. Yesterday, we watched him take the thumb on his left hand, place it in his mouth, and commence to sucking. He could not fully coordinate forming his hand into a fist so all four fingers lay draped across his face like octopus tentacles. Moments later, we saw him repeat this feat with his right hand in exactly the same manner and form.

4 comments:

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

So great to hear you sweet little ones are doing so well. Praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

There will be something new and amazing each and every day. Enjoy!
Betsy

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

So glad they are gaining weight so well, that's great! Hope Randi is feeling better. My favorite time to go to the NICU was in the night as well, my boys were so much calmer without all the chaos of the daytime.

~Kristi~ said...

Hi. My name is Kristi and I read about you on Twinstuff. I am so happy to see your precious boys are doing good. My girls had IUGR but an extremely bad case. Audrey was 1 lb 2 oz and Emily was 2 lb 1 oz. We had many struggles but I am so happy to see your boys are progressing. If you ever want to talk, just let me know. My user name on TS is Kristi F. and my email is twintastic2@gmail.com

I will be thinking of you guys and wishing for nothing but the best for you and your family.

Kristi